Friday, June 17, 2011

Day 2 - Reporting from Layang-layang Quarters



The day started fine, but I lost a member of the supposed 3 man squad (to thesis work). Mr. Lim decided to opt out, wilco leaves my herbarium staff assistant, Handry. Not very eventful hike on itself but I totally forgot how flying it is to hike up Mesilau trail with a heavy (~13-15 kg) bag. 5.5h to reach our quarters midway of the summit route. I now sit in front Handry and another Dusun man (it's the majority race here in the mountain, often mentioned off hand as the country-Kadazan folk because they are really similar in culture, appearance. They also share a common language, but with certain words pronounced differently). They question me about possible research of traditional herbs used for medicinal purposes here and I let out what I know (which isn't much). Time to relax. The adventure resumes tomorrow. Some pictures in the mean time.

Layang-Layang Quarters from the outside. Nope, not grand. From the inside, you could really hear the zinc walls vibrating and humming when the wind blows crazily at night. Whew, cold memories.
Little pleasures in cold places.
Rare picture of author in the bottom bunk of a double-decker bed.
The man Handry from the herbarium - extremely helpful and friendly.
The 'Bas Berhenti-henti' (Eng: Stopping bus/Stop-stop bus) that supposedly takes people around Kinabalu Park - I never rode it.
Looking back on the things I've done

No comments: