Sunday, July 3, 2011

My Mesilau 'House'

Till now, I've yet to give a formal introduction of the place I've been staying in for every trip I've made here. This is my 18th day here, my longest trip thus far. Meet my Mesilau 'House', Rhododendron lowii (furthest unit left in picture above):

THE VERANDA
This is what I see when I look out my front door (above)
Look left
Look right
Beyond my veranda

WELCOME INSIDE
Nope, not very neat
Meet my many bags of sorted litter samples (includes leaves, pine needles, twigs, branches, fruit etc etc)
Just a sneak peek of how work goes. Sorting leaves by morphospecies (morph = form; species.... = species, basically sorting into different types). The big black bag on the left contains whatever was caught within 2 weeks by a net (2.5 x 2 m) I placed in the forest. I have >60 of such bags to sort. Life ain't a bed of dead leaves roses.
Sketches of different species in my sketch book (really, my drawing is quite bad, but I just gotta do it or I'll forget which species is which)

The Tour Continues to THE KITCHEN
Old school and messy
Notice the little yellow stove? That runs on butane gas cartridges (those the size of canned spray paint)
Supplies!
Now what's this doing in the kitchen, on the egg crate?
That's why. Cutting onions and shallots is an endeavor that's way too sorrowful for me to face without sunnies *sob*
That jar of peanut butter n' jelly's long-over. Got a new jar =D Bananas are a staple here for me, awesome stuff. They're the mini type. Tastes much better than any banana I can get in Peninsular Malaysia, in my opinion. Very important for.. bowels.

Moving on! UPSTAIRS
Or at least, the landing that's halfway upstairs. A place I keep my stuff/samples when I'm not occupying the house (other researchers may use the house when I'm away).


And facing that landing would be...
The Toilet. No water heater here, so I boil water with a kettle and mix it to the right temperature in that red bucket and bathe with that. It was fun in the beginning.

Presenting: 1st Floor (Assuming that it was Ground floor earlier)
A few more steps up from the landing and you'll be greeted by 3 doors down

"To the left, to the left": THE DRYING ROOM
Yup, this is where all the samples (and laundry) I've been sorting gets dried, with the help of that mini-heater. Ironic how the heater is used only for leaves and not for the shivering researcher downstairs.
More unsorted litter samples.... ah God help me.

Presenting the door on the Right: MY ROOM
Ya la, what'd you expect?
Best friend lying on my bed

And the Middle door: THE MASTURBATE MASTER BEDROOM
Unused. I prefer the room I'm using. Tse Yuen slept here when he was around. I've shared this room with two girls before *whewit*. Of course, I took the single bed and they took shared the Queen-sized one.
It does have a cabinet.. which I daren't put my clothes in. I'll introduce my housemates later.

THE BALCONY (which is joined both to my room and the master bedroom)


Now, the housemates and occasional friends that come with the litter samples. I found a trail of slime in a hollowed branch. SLIME FILES.
Lightning snail!
Didn't realize my camera lens was all fogged-up. Common problem here since it's always cold and humid.

Meet my Furry Friends
Greeny was just hanging out by the door-hinge when I snuck up on him for this scandalous photo of her rear.
Fogged up because I didn't realize for sense of mystery.
My Bull Moth friend (Not actual name)
Moo
Orange (who died before the photo was taken. Hung out too long in front the heater). R.I.P.
And the shy guy who won't stay still for a picture
The cool corner-loving dude.
And lil miss gorgeous. Whew.

The cool moth. Reminds me of Eagles.
Another dead but cool dude.
"Butterfly kisses.." Bluek, like you'll actually kiss it. No offense, love the song.

Now, if you're below 18, I strongly suggest you avoid scrolling down for some really scandalous pictures I caught of my housemates. NSFW.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Still wanna see em huh?

Through the glass windows I peek,
your naked underneaths, I seek,
as they turn a blind cheek,
my little camera, I tweak (haha)

*click*

No comments: