Sunday, November 23, 2008

Behold...

may I present to you, the long-awaited, never debated, schlong-inflated and deftly procrastinated..
Cameron Highlands Picture Post
PART 1

As people have been blowing me hehe I have been urged to write up my trip posts/update, I shall finally oblige and leave 'procrastination' mode. Here we go~ (I shall talk less since pictures and captions will be enough to give u the general hoo ha)
The rhino (the same rhino from the last trip, this time taken more nicely)
Mossy, mossy cloud forest
The rarely candid Shen. With David & Chiun Hao, whom we only met during the trip.
MiniShen (red), Big Shen, Serene & David. This is the same area I explored with Dr. Cathy & Charles the last trip, though I think it was less muddy this time. Our actual hiking trip came the following day in Mount Irau.
The cloud forest is a pretty one.
The couple =p
The photo-friendly bug (who refused to let me take a close up from his front).
Near the entrance to the cloud forest (Not Irau)
Exiting the Cloud forest.
Pseudoworm.


*WAIT: DINNER TIME, CONTINUE SOON*
Dinner's over
Where the pseudoworms came from. Ferns and Mosses aplenty.

Hereon are pictures from the Pre-Mount Irau walkway that leads to the entrance to the hiking trail. We didn't enter the trail on the first day, only hang around the nicely-paved, Pre-Irau walkway.
Do you see a Moss Donkey/Bunny?
Another one This is a Shen. We will see many more of these in this post.
As mentioned before...
I like this one.
Of Mossy goodness and trees.
The Moss Dragon/Wolf head
Here, we encounter a pair of Shens, the smaller 'MiniShen' (left) and the 'Big Shen', usually just known as Shen.
Shen, David & a very happy MiniShen
The reason it's called a Cloud forest. Fogginess, makes the place a surreal spectacle to behoold, really.
I like.
MiniShen, David, Wei Lim (William).Le Shen looking demure.
Yes, it's a Shenhead you see down there.
The entrance to the Mount Irau hiking trail, which we have affectionately termed the 'Portal', for it really resembles one. Didn't manage to get a good angle, but I did get two diving/acting Shens =p
A lucky tree? hahah
If you look properly, it's supposed to be yet another candid shot, but Shen's "A-camera-is-pointing-at-me-from-behind" receptors managed to detect me and she turned back in time, 'posing' in almost Penguin-esque fashion.

More foggy goodness.
I dedicate this to Wei Ern.
When one pisses in a public toilet in Cameron Highlands and sees a ray of light.

And here...

BBQ on the Balcony, begins!
This is the first night where we're supposed to have had our 'fun' before the 'work begins the following day', but the amount of time required to cook, set up and wash up made it feel like work at times really. Of course, it's nice to have two little Shens and a Serene walking around feeding you meat and marshmallows, save for the fact that they smear the perfectly roasted marshmallows all over your face.. and make you look like..
boo.. kake
Oh yum.. Just look at that look of contentment.. That's gotta be one of the Happiest MiniShens in the whole, wide world of Marshmallow happiness.. So much so that her world falls into slow motion, see how William's a blur behind her? =p
*Ngaum*
Unsuspecting moth in our unit.
Big pink flower outside the place we lived.

Time for the hike in Day 2
We enter at about 9 am (I think), that's William & Chiun Hao
And that's a Shen. Something really stupid happened. Two of us who relished the challenge (David & I) brilliantly forgotten to bring our shoes, though I was almost there since I brought socks and had to hike in slippers. But I gotta say, I got one helluva pair of slippers, any other slipper would almost definitely have snapped one way or another, it was quite a hike.
Our bigmen Tse Yuen (our hiking headman) & Chiun Hao (the one carrying the foodbag) leading the way.
Scenery was again, breathtaking.. Breadtaking even! (I'll gladly throw one loaf of the bread we brought there if the mountains hollered "FEED MEEEEEEE")
More moss n trees.
.. and no lack of the dominant Shen species in the forests. This is actually a forest reserve we're hiking in.
Snakey Slithery things.
First peak reached.Yup, she's happy =P
Cuz it means photo time! =D Tse Yuen's happiness was short-lived, for his hours-ago bought tripod broke before he could take a picture. We had to get back to the shop at Brinchang to get it changed later.
There we go, another Shen =p I termed her my 'main model' in the trip because she really appeared in about 100+ of the 210 or so pictures taken in my camera. She instead, called me her cameraman -_-
Minus the Shen.
+ the Shen.
MiniShen. It was quite a chore taking pictures there really. It wasn't so much of a hike there really, more of a climb. The trail was made up of plenty of of squishy montane peat, roots, fallen logs, trunks & branches, which we used for foothold. Occasionally you get a nice big sturdy rock to stand on. So all these seemingly relaxed pictures are actually a real strain on the cameraman's part, where you're shaking from muscle fatigue (from climbing) and straining to balance (probably with an arched back to get a better angle) to snap a nice photo.

Of course, not all the photos were that dramatic in their making. It's worth the effort though =P
'candid' since they were posing for another camera then.
I like em spidey web pictures, when taken nicely without shaking hands + a good macro, which my camera offered. I have filtered away the blur ones Makes me wonder what a proper DSLR would've gotten me.
"spider pig, spider pig, does whatever a spiderpig can. Can he swing, from a web? No, he can't, he's a pig. Lookout! Here comes the spiderrr piggg"
This was probably nearing the second peak where we turned back, because the path ahead was too peaty and Tse Yuen & Chiun Hao decided we shouldn't venture too deep. Oh yes, also because the GPS we brought couldn't receive a signal from the beginning of the trail & for some reasons, sampling was not viable. So it's more of a sight-seeing trip for us 'researchers', though we did acquire a good picture of the place now.
I like.
She like.
Rare pictures of these rare specimens, William & David.
hehe.
Guess who again?
Surprise! It's me!
Finally, she offered to take a picture of me. Okay, hehe, nicely taken though *pat pat* good job!
Of course, in return I must take one for her =p She did a better job though. hehe, oops
Sausage-shaped sheep on its hind legs, carrying a baseball bat and ready to bat. Okay, I know my imagination's a lil wild sometimes.
There's another version of this picture (not with me) where David changes his cheeky face to a "I'm gonna smooch you" face.
Sneaky lil cute things.
The ledge that would render you brown if you decide to slip. It's a peat-y pool of sludge down there, reminiscent to many that we crossed. Yeah, we were mostly brown from our knees down.
Our diligent William gettin ready to take pH measurements for a peat puddle (the only one here that got some work done)
Another branchy, peaty path *bah, just like all the others*
Oh no, huge peat-y, puddle and no alternative route across... Will our brave adventureres brave through it, or will this spell their unfortunate end?

Find out in the next episode of "Cameron's Picture Post"!

4 comments:

σ §úzZzù§ σ said...

eeeeeeeee i dun like psuedoworm~! its not real i know (psuedo=fake, ya?), but still it's very gelifying

*shudder*

kienz said...

I like them, they make good subjects for pictures. hahah, ok *burrp* time to finish the post up

σ §úzZzù§ σ said...

what sausage sheep ready to bat?? what i see (i'm digging from my wildest imaginations here), is some sheep thingy, with a lonnng tumor growing at the side of its mouth. not much creative, eyz?

hahaha and why did you look as if you were handcuffed in BBQ? as if your friends were feeding you and fattening you up so that they could have you for their next meal ha..

kienz said...

that tumour is the bat. Ya know like baseball bats? It's got it over its shoulder like a batter ready for the ball

about the bbq -_- My hands were tied with chicken wings at worst