Friday, May 29, 2009

Bon Voyage $$

About two nights ago, mom randomly asked if I'd like to follow her on a trip to Singapore, 4d3n. Figuring that I have little lab work to do since my equipment ain't here yet, I thought I'd follow, with one thing in particular on mind; Guitar Effects. Because you can get many things from Singapore that you can't find here. And also, because they are mostly (generalizing) "cheaper".

Hereon, it's guitar talk

So, after some research (digging online listening to and watching demos/videos, reading reviews etc..) and talk with my effects master, Jin, the effects enthusiast who evil-talks me into spending money on this stuff (which I almost always fall for) every now and then, I've narrowed down my choices to....


G2D's "Cream Tone"
- which gives an absolute jizz in my pants blues tone that I would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to add to my artillery of pedals/sounds/style of play.

Possible hiccups:
1. The inherent sound of my Ibanez guitar may not be warm enough to accommodate this wonderful pedal, which Jin assured me otherwise. I'll try them first though.
2. SG$ 360.00

T_T

And then the next two are contenders for my 'high-gain' distortion type pedal, introducing...

MI Audio's "Crunch Box"
- the favourite to win this competition, for its insane gain and bright, clear and non-muddy sounding distortion.
Price: SG$ 225

Attractive features:
1. Sound, insane sound
2. Colour. I like it. What?
3. Pedal size. It may not seem relevant, but when you have finite space on your pedal board & you have to lug them around, you'll get it.

Something slightly potong stim: It has the same size/shape/colour as my other distortion pedal, an MXR Distortion-115. I hope I won't confuse them when I'm playing onstage (if ever again) in the future).


.. and the legendary
ProCo's "RAT II distortion"
- RAT has a reputation of being one of the leaders in their distortion pedals in the past, and from the demos, I can see why. Very classic, raw, rock-sounding stuff. But I have something similar and will probably opt for the other.
-Attractive features:
1. Price: SG$185
2. It's reputation, probably fail-proof
3. The name, RAT. Cute right? heh

So this trip to Singapore, I'll expect to get the Cream Tone + one of the distortions (probably Crunch Box). To mathematically represent this...

SG$360 + SG$225 = SG$585
SG$585 x 2.5 (~ exchange rate) = RM1462.50

Oh my Kun Yam.
*contemplates fasting for a month.. Nahh*

Also, because I don't have a proper pedalboard/case (currently using a piece of my bookshelf, which I carry around shamelessly) to carry my effects around, I'm considering purchasing one. No surprise to me, I'm faced with the harsh realities of life that I have tried hard to avoid for a long time now, these pedalboards/cases are awesome, but cost as much, or more than a single pedal itself. FML I'm contemplating either buying one from Malaysia from a friend's shop (RM160, though I've yet to check it out) or the extreme measure of building my own pedal board. Sounds daunting for a person who's only ever built secondary school KH (Kemahiran Hidup - Living Skills?) projects using a few pieces of wood and planks, and only did a mediocre job of it, at best. hahaha, but I'm looking forward to it, let's see how this goes..

8 comments:

陈一豪 said...

Use power tools dude.

They have a higher frequency of motion, thus giving less chance of errors.

~rocky said...

i think ur current pedal box was a good amateur job...

Michy said...

Wow!

kienz said...

YH: You're talking about building the pedal board right? Or are you talking about pedals? hehe

R: why, thank you *blush* hehe

M: Yikes

Jin said...

ngehehehhehe

2 overdrives/distortion at once?
Now u got 3 distortion. sure u gonna use them all?

kienz said...

J: They're all supposed to be very different types. I tried the box of rock, it DOES rock. Sounds like an improved version of my MXR actually >_<

Jin said...

guess u must have been to blackwood

kienz said...

Yesh, blackwood indeed =p I tried their Analogman Chorus, omg, crazy stuff (love)