Monday, May 5, 2008

Hot Fat Rice, Corrosive Tom Yam and Nostalgia

My sinner of a dinner was at a lil Malay hawker stall behind Centrepoint, where there is a big faded sign saying "Nasi Lemak Panas". Yeap, true to its name, it serves kickass sambal that forces you to buy more drinks and it gets even better, you can order tom yam soup from the next stall like my mom did to burn some holes in your stomach and intestines. Improves nutrient flow, ya know? Why do I keep thinking of this flaming post?

What's that?

Is that shades I see?
Yup, that's ma new pair of Speedo's =D I thank my parents for their generosity.

Just the other day, I was packing up my stuff the night before going to bed when I noticed my lab coat conspicuously displaying its faded Taylor's college logo in my direction. I didn't hesitate to give it its due *snap* with the phone. Looking at its faded logo reminds me of the years I've left college, and how transient a phase college really was for me, since SAM was only about 10 effective months. Nevertheless, its impact on me was profound, and I'll never trade it for anything, I cherish those days =) As a form of frugality nostalgia, I never bothered buying a new lab coat from my current uni and always wore that good ol' trustworthy Taylor's lab coat of mine, faded logo flashing proudly on my chest. G7, my SAM class, still remains rather vivid on my mind at times when I think back about college (and the donkey Nar that always coincidently wears that same red Nicole polo T that I WEAR on same days). I still remember walking across college to MAC center to photocopy stuff, to Kiosk for bread, empty classrooms to study/eat, the stinky C24 or 28 classrooms that always smelled like (rotten) shoes during Thursday morning ESL classes. Burger King days with my classmates when we needed a 'luxury lunch' =D Asia cafe, oh god, staple food =_=

On a more nostalgic front, I'm floating in the head listening to a song called "Moon River", sent to me by my ex. The file was left in my brother's com for a long time and I hadn't really bothered bringing it back onto my laptop till now =) Thanks for the song :) It set the mood for me to write like that =)

*Edit: I never knew "Moon River" was from a 1961 movie, sang by Audrey Hepburn, one of the most elegant ladies known =) I never knew her elegance extended to her vocal chords as well, what a soothing song =D

"Moon River, wider than a mile,
I'm crossing you in style some day.
Oh, dream maker, you heart breaker,
wherever you're going I'm going your way.
Two drifters off to see the world.
There's such a lot of world to see.
We're after the same rainbow's end--
waiting 'round the bend,
my huckleberry friend,
Moon River and me."

And so it continues taunting me... Bringing me a serene, dreamy happiness =)

2 comments:

stinchan said...

Isn't that the red pair of speedo you were wearing that day? looks black/blue in the picture. don't try disguise the fact that you chose an auntie shade of red =/

kienz said...

It's red and I'm proud/happy bout it man, I feel the picture does my shades less justice :p haha, blame my phone camera